Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I am turning into my mother

And not in a bad way. I just had one of those moments when I ate my lunch (at my desk!) yesterday, when part of my lunch was cold mashed potato.

Not that my mum has a fondness for cold mashed potatoes but, let me tell you a story ..... I was about 15 (I think) when I went in the kitchen and saw the toast had popped. When I called out to mum to tell her, her reply was she new but she was waiting for it to get cold before she buttered it and ate it. I was (I still think understandably) confused. Waiting for the toast to get cold??? This does not sound like something people plan to do! Mum shrugged and just said she got used to it when we were little and now she just likes it like that.**

Fast forward about 7 years and me studying full time with two babies, nannying for two of my little sisters, volunteering etc. I "got" it. And worked out why she enjoyed cold toast! It might be an acquired taste but if it is your best chance of getting to eat you might as well acquire it. It's not bad :)

Fast forward another nineish year and you get me today! Really getting it! I looove leftovers and I very often just eat them cold. But hey, you do what you need to do to survive and you might as well enjoy it while you are there!

But anyway ... I now get it Mum! I really do!!!

[**Family background: four of us in five years. Lived on remotish sheep station so she was our home tutor from when I was 5 until when I was 9. I am the oldest. Then she went back to full time study, while still having us at home with a governess and cooking for anywhere between 6 and 12 people, etc, etc}

No comments: