Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Memories

Some memories don't just happen by chance. Some memories are created. Well, I think they are anyway. You know, the things you did that when you were younger that you want your children to experience. Whether it be a regular Sunday roast at the grandparents' or a favourite book or holiday destination. In my case we will often have a big puzzle which lives on the main table that is an on-going work in progress. I actually don't really like jigsaws. But I love the memories of them being something we did as a family during school holidays or on rainy days. I want my girls to have those same memories of 'family'.

I can't remember if I have mentioned it before, but I grew up (until I was 13 anyway) on a sheep station in the middle(ish) of Australia. As in a 600,000 acre and 20,000 sheep type station (and those numbers are right, I double checked!). This means that a lot of my favourite childhood memories are a little, or in some cases a lot, different from lots of my friends and from my children's.

In the last year or so I have become friends with a farmer who lives about an hour and a half out of Perth. It is so very cool. She invites us out lots and my girls have now got to do some of the things that were such a part of my childhood. Playing in a shearing shed. Picking mulberries straight from the tree. Catching yabbies from a dam. Riding in the back of a ute. You get the idea. Clearly it is not the same, but it is a taste! And it is awesome. The friend has also said in a year or two when they are a bit bigger they can go and stay during part of their school holidays while I am at work and really get to do stuff. Wonderful for me, but such an amazing opportunity for the girls!

We spent the afternoon up there today. We picked mulberries. The girls got to do this last year and they have been dying to be able to do it again. Then we spent two hours cutting bulrushes out of a dam! Knee deep (or in my case waist deep) in water cutting and pulling and carrying. Real farm work! They are learning to earn their keep. I got some serious exercise in today. My friend got to do a job in an afternoon that would have taken her all week. We will all be sleeping very well tonight!

Memories. Hopefully these will be some that my girls will want to re-create for their children one day!

4 comments:

Me said...

600,000 acre? are you joking? I cant even imagine that kinda space in India.I live in a 40 sq. metre house! Yikes!

Catherine said...

Nope! That is how big it was. But it is all so dry. 600,000 only supported 20,000 sheep. That is about as technical as my knowledge goes though.

Me said...

20,000 sheeps is less? I am so confused right now! I need to shift to Perth rightaway!

Catherine said...

20,000 isn't many on 200,000 acres? I will have to do a whole separate blog post on it after I get all the exact figures etc from Dad! We didn't own it and moved away just before I turned 13 so my memory for the exact figures is a bit hazy.