Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why I don't understand my children (and vice versa).

People always stop me to tell me the girls look just like me. And I mean all the time, not just people I know or people standing next to me in the check-out queue, but random people will actually stop to tell me this. I mean they do look like me, but they are mine! But more to the point, I do find the concept of walking up to a stranger and stopping to tell them this is strange. I have decided to take it as a compliment though, because in my humble and highly biased opinion they are all very pretty. The girls I mean, not the strangers.
It is also funny, because despite their similarities, different people who actually know us will each have which one they insist looks the most like me. These opinions are pretty much equally divided up between the three girls. The consensus is agreed that they all look like me not their father though (with the exception of his step-mother which is understandable!). Funnily enough, the one strangers pick as looking the most like their dad is Erin, because they are both darker. However, she is not actually biologically his!

For all their similarities they are all quite different. I have always said the difference in their personalities showed most clearly in how they would react if they were upset or got into trouble as toddlers. Reanna used to just be devastated and would cry. Erin would sulk (and just for the record it is really hard to study with a two year old sitting behind you with her arms crossed and glaring at you). Aimee would have a massive tantrum. Her first through herself down and cry tantrum was the day she sat up.
Not that I ever expected them to be the same as each other or like me. However, I thought I had a few years left of understanding them (until we hit the teenage years). But they still continue to surprise me and the following are just a few reasons I don't think I will ever understand my children, and why I think they will never understand me:-

- Reanna refuses to write properly on facebook or in text messages. This drives me insane. And yet, she insists on writing "sad face" or "smiley face" rather then using symbols.

- That they all love sport and play voluntarily at school (and not just to get out of class) and they are all talented (not to mention co-ordinated) dancers.

-They can do cool things with their hair. My talents pretty much stopped at pony-tails and plaits. Yes, three girls were wasted on me!

-They don't love Enid Blyton - wasn't this what we all grew up reading? And Enid Blyton stuff was old when I was little. Admittedly they like her stuff, and they have more options these days, but still!

- Aimee doesn't eat meat. Enough said. Although I understand the ethical reasons.

- Erin has an amazing networking ability already. She can talk to anyone whether or not she has been introduced.

-Reanna wants to do a fun run. Really wants to do one. I have agreed but only under sufferance. When mu personal trainer was suggesting I start the C25K program he asked hadn't I always wanted to run a marathon. My answer was most definitely no. No urge whatsoever!

The big question is, if I don't understand them ... how is anyone else supposed to?

(This post is intended to balance out all my pround mama posts. I am a proud mama, but doesn't mean it is smooth sailing all the time! Admittedly this list isn't really life ruining, but it does make for fun conversations with lots of eyerolling).

1 comment:

Me said...

enid blyton... i saw her name and everything else you had written disappeared into oblivion. sigh! no other world is wirth living in!