Friday, March 2, 2012

Bookworms

I got a letter today from Reanna's high school. (As a side note, I love how the school posts the letters. It is just sort of ironic that primary school kids can be trusted to hand them to their parents but high school students can't!). The letter was from the librarian, deputy principal and year 8 co-ordinator letting parents know about a program being run in English to encourage kids to read and making suggestions as to how parents can help their children to not only enjoy reading, but for them to read more then one genre/sub-genre (perhaps a subtle suggestion that they should be reading about things other then vampires?).

Being a good mother, I sat Reanna down and asked her if there was anything she thought I could do to help encourage her to read more. I also gave her the letter to read. She gave me a look like I was an idiot and very kindly told me that she thought I was doing a good job. How nice of her! I think I can tick that box. Yay!**

Ironically, I had a book order arrive yesterday full of all (teen appropriate - I hope) vampire books for Reanna for her birthday. I am thinking I will read them before I give them too her just to make sure they are ok. This really is the reason ;).I also picked up a copy of 'Dracula' earlier in the week. I haven't read it before but I am thinking if she is going to be into all books vampirish she really should have read the classic. This makes sense. Right? Reanna said I should read it first and tell her if it is any good.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I am also encouraging her to move across genres. There are also some Meg Cabot books in her present pile and some biographies (admittedly of Daniel Radcliffe and Taylor Lautner, but this is not the point).

Final thought for the day, while we are on the topic of all things bookish "you can't buy happiness, but you can buy books and that's kind of the same thing". (Stolen from  a facebook post. I am sorry I don't know who to credit it too).

Have a great day, and happy reading!



** On a serious note, I think it is awesome the school is not only running this program, but that they are encouraging parents to back it up and giving parents tips on how to do it. I did also tell Reanna that I hoped she would participate in the extension activities that are on offer. And I will certainly do anything I can that I am not already doing. Just happens that reading is clearly my thing and the girls' are all avid readers already.

No comments: