Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's a small world after all

There are many, many things that serve as a reminder as to how small the world is these days. The fact I can sit in my kitchen in Perth on a hot summer's evening, type and share this thought with people all over the world in an instant is clearly one of them. Especially knowing there are people out there actually reading them. Some of whom are in places where it is snowing at the moment. I know you know this. Clearly you know this if you are reading my blog but sometimes it just hits home!

I got a facebook message from my sister's friend this morning (she is travelling around NZ) to say my sister was in emergency (she was ok) but their phones were playing up and could I please let our mum know. Mum was able to get hold of her a few hours later, but I could facebook message back and at least they knew that our parents had the information.

My friends from interstate and overseas can get news and updates on my family at the same time as people who live locally.

TV shows are the same. I can order books from the UK. Transfer money within minutes.

Such a small world.

What prompted this post? I was reading a blog post from another blogger who had bought the same bin (well it looked like same one!) from Ikea for her almost-born baby that I bought for my girls last week. It wasn't until I read the term "diaper" rather then "nappy" that it even occurred to me that she lived in the USA.

Ikea is apparently on the list of the great world-wide uniters too!!! Have I mentioned recently that I love Ikea? I bought new bookshelves from there yesterday. So happy! There will be a very, very over-excited post this time next week because I am having a few friends around for a bookshelf putting in party (ones who can drill stuff).

End of happy, random blog. Feel free to stop reading here before it changes to D&M type blogging.

I intended the post to end the loving Ikea (which I do), but as I was typing all I could think of were the ads that used to be on tv (probably about 20 years ago now. Argh!) about how it is not the "Third World" it is all one world. Which I strongly agree with. It should be one world. It is one world but the gap between rich and poor seems to be getting greater by the day. And I think that as the developed world gets more and more unified the gap gets even bigger. It just made me think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness your sister is alright and it's always nice to read a happy blog! :D

Me said...

You know, there are so many things that I agree with you on in this post. the fact that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting pooreris so obvious in a country like India, which is where I'm from. It's sad. Makes me think that a little bit of communism would do the world a lotta good. But then again maybe not. I dont know. But somewhere, the playing field needs to be levelled.