Saturday, January 7, 2012

Take me out to the ball game

This post is for all you American people out there! The girls and I went to our first baseball game tonight and had a great time. I am now feeling very multicultural. Sport in general isn't my thing, but I like supporting local events and watching anything live is more fun. Plus someone else organised it which is always a bonus!

Here is Australia, baseball isn't that big, but there is a .... um ... I am actually not sure of the word to use here? Stadium? (It doesn't look big enough to be a stadium). Field? Anyway you know what I mean, and there is one near us. Our state won! Which was very considerate of them for our first time.

We went with a few friends. One of whom had organised a barbeque beforehand and we all walked down together. I still have no idea what was going on though. Luckily a few of the people we went with did and answered all the girls' questions (mine too). Funny moment was when one of girls answered something I'd asked and when I was sitting there flabbergasted, she (I think it was Erin) calmly told me she'd learnt it from playing WiiSport! Apparently it is educational.

Things I have learnt tonight:
1. Always ask what the colours of the team you are supporting are prior to the match to avoid children having a panic attack. (In case you were wondering they ended up being red, black and white. This was lucky because Aimee had lots of red stuff. Otherwise there may have been tears).
2. Google basic rules in advance or take someone with you who knows what is going on.
3. Doesn't matter if it is the middle of summer, better to take a blanket with you then to not.
4. Things aren't always like they appear on tv (but they did sing 'Take me out to the ball game'. I was so, so excited).
5. Possibly actually something about baseball. We will have to wait for next time thogh to find that one out!

So that was the new thing we tried this weekend and I think we will go back :)

No comments: