Monday, February 13, 2012

Bittersweet

It is my birthday tomorrow, but this is not the reason for the slightly melancholy title!

Friday night our budgie died. For those of you who regularly read my waffle, you may remember earlier posts I have done about how the pets are not mine. They belong to the girls (and in the budgie's case, the ex, but that is a whole other story). But I am sad. Actually very sad. Sad for the girls who are truly devastated. Sad for their dad who was away at work and the girls were crying so much it took them an hour to be able to talk to him. Sad for me, because I am really going to miss his chattering. I already do. Grief and mourning for the loss of a loved one is an important part of life and I think losing a pet is an important part of growing and learning, but it does not make it a fun lesson. It also scares me about life events that this lesson might be preparing us for.

Saturday night was a celebration for my birthday. This was the fun part of the weekend! I insist on calling it a gathering. I am always too scared to call it a party in case no-one shows up or if people do and it is boring it will make it a bad party. I just feel that calling it a gathering puts a lot less pressure on me! (Paranoid much?!). And just in case you are concerned, people did show up and I had a fabulous night. I feel very loved and very looked after.

I do have a funny Aimee story to share from the weekend to end on a happy note. I had a Board meeting Saturday morning so one of my friends came to babysit. The girls decided to decorate the house while I was out and just as I was leaving Aimee asked could she decorate the balloons. This bit was no problem. However, she was entirely disgruntled with me because my birthday was not for another few days. Apparently this meant she couldn't write "32" or "32nd Birthday" instead she decorated the balloons with the words "32 on Tuesday". Accurate I suppose!

So this is officially my last post at aged 31. Next time I write I will be older and I am keeping my fingers crossed for wiser. Please note, just my fingers crossed, not holding my breath. I am not that optimistic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for everyone's loss.

Wishing you a Happy Birthday and a much better year from here on out.

Catherine said...

Thank you :)